Meaning of “outstanding skills“
- O-1A: Individuals of remarkable skill in the sciences, education, business, or athletics (excluding the arts, film, and television industries);
- O-1B: Persons with remarkable skill in the arts or extraordinary accomplishment in the motion picture or television business
- O-2: Individuals accompanying an O-1 artist or athlete to assist in a particular event or performance.
- O-3: Spouses and children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders.
- Have received national or worldwide outstanding awards or accolades in their field.
- Being a member of an organization that needs exceptional achievement, as determined by nationally or internationally renowned authorities in the specific field.
- Their work has been featured in prominent professional or trade magazines or in the mainstream media.
- The applicant has served as a judge in the same (or a substantially comparable) field.
- This could be done on an individual basis or as part of a panel.
- Have had articles published in prestigious professional or trade periodicals.
- Have made original scientific, academic, or business contributions of significant importance in their relevant field.
- Have served in a position of authority or significance for highly valued organizations or institutions.
- For their services, they command a high wage or compensation.
- Other relevant proof of extraordinary expertise that does not meet the standards listed above.
Procedure for Applying
You may apply for an O-1A visa if you have a remarkable ability in the arts, sciences, education, business, or sports. Or you are eligible to apply for an O-1B visa if you have extraordinary ability in the arts or have accomplished extraordinary things in the film or television industries.
Follow these steps:
- Your employer submits a petition on your behalf with USCIS.
- Form DS-160 is filed. Everyone who applies for a US visa must submit this electronic application form.
- You must pay the O1 visa fee.
- You make an appointment with the nearest US mission for a visa interview.
- Compile the necessary paperwork.
- Attend the interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and present the required documentation.
The USCIS will complete your application within two to three months. There is also the option of Premium Processing, which can provide you with a response within 15 days for an extra $1,500 fee. Regular processing costs $460 in comparison.
The O-1 has a maximum validity of three years.
In some instances, the visa is given solely for a particular event, production, or activity, and it may be valid for a shorter period of time. There is no restriction on the number of O1 visa extensions, which are granted in increments of one year. To qualify for an extension, the holder of an O1 visa must demonstrate that they will maintain the same position or activity.
Bring your loved ones
If your spouse and dependent children accompany you or later join you, they may be entitled to apply for an O-3 nonimmigrant visa – subject to the same admission period and conditions as you. They cannot work in the United States, but they may engage in full-time or part-time study programs.